In case several adjacent teeth are destroyed or missing, they can be restored by means of bridgework. A dental bridge is a fixed orthodontic device which consists of several artificial teeth connected to each other. Such a construction gets fixed on the retaining teeth located at both sides of the destroyed teeth or on specially installed implants.
Today bridgework is the most popular tooth restoration technique. From this article you are going to learn about the materials used to produce dental bridges, the installation procedure itself, and the price of performing bridgework in DentaTur clinics in Turkey.
Installation of dental bridges in DentaTur clinics
The bridgework in dental centres belonging to DentaTur chain in Turkey (Antalya, Marmaris, Istanbul, and Fethiye) is performed by experienced orthodontists with the use of cutting-edge materials. Thanks to exceptional qualification of our dentists, the ability to work with the contemporary equipment, and individual approach to each and every patient, you may expect the ideal outcome of the treatment which consists in obtaining the long-awaited beautiful smile, restoring functional abilities of the teeth, and regaining the patient’s self-confidence.
Indication for using dental bridges
- mild or moderate deficiencies of the tooth row inside and front areas (up to 4 teeth);
- absence of a single molar in the chewing area.
The patient should have healthy retaining teeth, able to sustain a sufficient load. Otherwise, dental implantation needs to be performed prior to fixing a tooth bridge.
Contraindications for using dental bridges:
- severe inflammation in the oral cavity or in the throat (stomatitis, gingivitis, sore throat: temporary contraindication);
- absence of more than one molar, three or more premolars or four teeth in the smile zone;
- occlusion pathologies;
- osteoporosis and other jaw-bone tissue diseases;
- severe periodontosis;
- pathologic tooth attrition.
Stages of the installation of dental bridges
- Oral cavity examination. The doctor studies the teeth which are going to be masked by the crown. Such teeth should be healthy and able to sustain the increased chewing load.
- Preparation. In case the retaining teeth are destroyed, the dentist removes their pulps, fills the canals, and, if necessary, strengthens the teeth with inlays. If the bridgework is performed on healthy retaining teeth, the removal of nerves is not an obligatory measure.
- Facing. In case of metal-ceramic tooth bridges, a thick enamel layer should be peeled off while non-metal bridges require only minimal facing.
- Mould making. Moulds of the upper and lower jaw are taken and sent to the laboratory.
- Dental bridge manufacturing. This procedure takes 1-2 weeks depending on the materials to be used and the complexity of the work. Meanwhile, a temporary prosthesis gets installed in the smile zone.
- Trying. The bridge gets fixed and adjusted.
Types of materials for dental bridges
Dental bridges can be made of metal, ceramics, metal-ceramics, or zirconium dioxide. Aesthetic appearance, price, strength, and durability depend directly on the selected material.
- Metal dental bridges are almost out of use nowadays: despite their strength and low price, they have insufficient aesthetic properties, and can cause the destruction of the retaining teeth.
- Metal-ceramic tooth bridges are strong, reliable, and secure. These are ceramic constructions on a metal frame. Such bridges have a natural-looking appearance and boast optimal price-quality ratio.
- Plastic dental bridges are light, economical, and hypoallergenic constructions which get fixed for a rather short period of time. Low durability and quick manufacturing allow using such devices as a temporary measure for eliminating tooth row deficiencies.
- Zirconium dental bridges are ceramic artificial teeth on a frame made of zirconium dioxide. They are quite light and strong, exercise minimal pressure on the retaining teeth, and are able to sustain increased loads. Zirconium bridges have an aesthetic and natural look; they are hypoallergenic and totally biocompatible with human tissues.
What is better: dental implants or bridgework?
The technique of restoring teeth by means of dental bridges is known for over 30 years now, so patients prefer such constructions to the implantation. The installation of tooth bridges is a good alternative to dental implantation, but is nonetheless inferior to it.
Advantages of dental bridges:
- The procedure does not require surgical intervention and is not associated with a long rehabilitation period or the risk of non-survival of the implant.
- The bridgework takes 2-4 weeks while the implantation would require up to 4 months.
- After the bridge is fixed, the sensation of discomfort lasts for no more than 3 days (for dental implantation the corresponding timeframe is up to 2 weeks).
- Bridgework is the only option in the presence of a minimal gap between the adjacent teeth. In such cases, the installation of implants is not feasible.
Advantages of dental implants:
- Implants can serve for the whole lifetime (in DentaTur centres in Turkey we use high-quality “Nobel Biocare” titanium implants for which a warranty is given). At the same time, bridgework has a limited service time and should be replaced after such a period is over. Short life of such prostheses is explained by the properties of the material used for fixing crowns.
- No facing or pulp removal is required.
- Dental implants eliminate the problems related to bone tissue atrophy since they help load the bone, while dental bridges cause the destruction of the bone tissue which is not subject to regular loads.
Cost of the installation of dental bridges
DentaTur centres in Turkey (Antalya, Istanbul, Fethiye, and Marmaris) perform dental prosthetics with the use of bridges made of metal-ceramics and non-metal ceramics with zirconium dioxide frames. We select tooth row restoration techniques individually for each patient, opting for the most painless and safe solutions. The price of such services depends directly on the material used for the manufacturing of the bridge.
Proper care for dental bridges
- Perform duly cleaning of your dental bridge twice a day.
- The cleaning of dental bridges requires paying special attention to its internal surface which is in contact with the gums and interdental spaces (for this purpose a toothbrush with a single row of bristles or dental floss can be used).
- When cleaning your teeth, hold the toothbrush at an angle of 45° and make sweeping movements to remove food particles and plaque as much as possible.
- A toothbrush with a single row of bristles or dental floss can be used together with a small amount of toothpaste.
- After the dental bridge is cleaned, use some mouthwash but do not forget that this liquid cannot substitute the aforementioned procedure.
Compliance with all these recommendations helps prolong the lifetime of dental bridges and protect the patient’s health.
Taking care of removable and fixed tooth bridges should be performed with the use of sensitive cleaners in order not to damage the surface of the device. In case the bridge has been damaged, do not try to fix it on your own – contact your dentists immediately.
DentaTur clinics in Turkey perform bridgework of any level of complexity. The prosthetics are delivered by experienced orthodontists who master contemporary tooth restoration techniques. Besides, you will be pleasantly surprised by our affordable prices and high-quality service.