Straight white teeth are not only the key to a beautiful smile but also an important element which gives us self-confidence, boosts our self-esteem, ensures thorough chewing, and helps maintain correct articulation.
According to the statistics, only 70 per cent of people are satisfied with their smile. The remaining 30 per cent have occlusion pathologies that should be eliminated. In some cases, it is enough to wear special retainers at an early age. However, if the teeth are excessively protruding, sunken or crowded, the only remedy is to wear dental braces.
Braces are orthodontic devices designed for eliminating occlusion anomalies and straightening tooth rows. Such constructions were first used by the French doctors over two centuries ago. Today dental braces can be installed in Turkey in dental clinics belonging to DentaTur chain (Antalya, Istanbul, Fethiye, and Marmaris).
Sure enough, contemporary orthodontic systems that are installed in Turkey differ much from their predecessors: they are more compact and comfortable-to-wear.
Braces consist of three basic elements:
- hooks (ensure secure fixation);
- orthodontic brackets;
- wires (are used for attaching hooks to brackets).
Types of dental braces
Several decades ago braces used to be fixed only on the front surface of the tooth row. Such orthodontic systems were bulky and made of metal. Today patients have a much wider choice. Dentists offer the installation of braces of various sizes and forms, made of several different materials.
- Non-wired and wired braces. The difference between these two constructions lies in the type of the attachment to the bracket. Wired braces are fixed by means of dental cribs which have to be tightened once a month. Non-wired braces are more contemporary orthodontic devices: they have no additional attachments. Thanks to them, patients can pay visits to their dentist two-three times less often, which is very convenient.
- Internal and external braces. If the patients wish their smile to preserve its appearance during the treatment period, they may opt for internal constructions. Such devices get attached to the teeth from the side of the tongue and hence are absolutely invisible for other people. Yet, external braces are still more popular. They make the teeth straightening more comfortable both for the patient and for the orthodontist.
- Metal, plastic, ceramic, and sapphire braces. The appearance of the braces and their prices depend directly on the material they are made of.
Types of materials
- Metal braces. The most widely spread orthodontic devices. They are very strong and durable. Such braces cannot be used by people who are allergic to metals. As for the aesthetics, metal is obviously not the best solution.
- Plastic braces. They are less costly but not sufficiently reliable. Besides, they get discoloured quickly and become visible against the teeth.
- Ceramic braces. Such constructions look very aesthetically, are highly durable but cost a lot. The colour of ceramic braces is identical to that of the natural enamel, so the appearance of the patient’s smile remains unaffected.
- Sapphire braces. These are considered to be the most aesthetic orthodontic devices. They are able to refract the sunlight, resembling precious gems. However, sapphire braces are rather fragile.
When asked to explain why the majority of patients opt for metal braces, dentists emphasize their usability and affordability. The result of the treatment is the same, so why pay more?
In the process of selecting the material for braces, patients should always keep in mind the initial purpose of this procedure. Braces serve for straightening the teeth in 1-2 years’ time, not for having a radiant smile. However, if the patients’ financial means allow installing sapphire or ceramic braces, there is no reason why the patient should abstain from doing so.
How braces work?
Human teeth are able to change their position, moving forward or backwards. Braces help only determine the right direction for straightening the teeth.
Before proceeding to the installation of dental braces the following steps are taken:
- The doctor studies the clinical picture and defines the right position of the patient’s teeth and their direction.
- Then the braces get fixed and connected with each other.
- Thanks to a particular degree of tension, the bracket starts exercising pressure on certain teeth. This helps gradually alter the initial position of the tooth row.
In the course of the treatment, the patient should undergo regular medical check-ups so that the orthodontist could introduce necessary corrections to the process of the teeth straightening (sometimes the degree of tension should be lowered, sometimes – the other way round).
Indications and contraindications for wearing braces
Orthodontic systems provide an opportunity to solve the following dental issues:
- crooked teeth caused by defective tooth eruption;
- shifting of adjacent teeth;
- innate pathologies of the upper or lower jaw.
Braces are extremely efficient in rectifying crowded teeth and large gaps. However, not all the patients can opt for such orthodontic constructions.
Contraindications for wearing braces include:
- psychic disorders;
- allergy to the material which the braces are made of;
- severe pathologies of the jaw-bone tissue;
- blood diseases;
- endocrine and immune system disorders.
It is also important that the patient should undergo preliminary treatment of dental disorders (if appropriate) and professional oral cavity cleaning. By the moment the dental braces will be fixed, the patient’s teeth and gums should be absolutely healthy.
At what age it is better to wear braces?
It has been proven that human teeth remain mobile (i.e., are able to shift) for the whole lifetime, meaning that patients can install braces at any age. However, dental practice shows that the best results are achieved when a person starts wearing braces at the age of 12-14.
The later the patient pays a visit to the orthodontist, the longer the treatment period will be.
For how long braces should be worn?
Malocclusion can typically be corrected within 1-2 years. Yet, this timeframe can vary depending on the patient’s age and particular features of his or her dental pathology.
You will get exact information on the duration of the treatment at the first consultation with the orthodontist in Turkey.
Prices for braces in Turkey in DentaTur clinics
The cost of the installation of braces in the clinics belonging to DentaTur chain in Turkey depends directly on the material of the future dental device.